Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Snowshoe Walk

I left February 15 and we came home March 1. We made it to the base of the Mealy Mountains. The weather has changed a lot and the snow is very soft. To go up the mountain you have to cross back and forth over a stream and there were a lot of holes. It would have been very dangerous for the children. We didn’t have too many helpers either. I also wanted to be back in the community for some panel discussion and meetings regarding the Hydro dam.

I felt a bit sad coming home, since we didn’t make it all the way to Pants Lake. I was still happy to have walked again though. Even though our group was small, there were 10 of us when we started; I felt there were many people supporting us. I do this for the young children.

I am happy everything went well. Two of my young grandchildren came with me—one 5 year old and one 4. Sometimes they walked and sometimes they went on the skidoo with their grandfather. I’m glad they didn’t give up. We finished as far as we could go because the weather was not too good this year. I am a bit tired now, but will write more later. Thank you.












2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    Thank you for your post and for taking us along on your walk through your words and pictures. While you were out walking, I attended a presentation by Elizabeth Yeoman and appreciated learning more about you, your walks, your people, and the struggles you face. I so appreciate how you want your grandchildren to develop their own relationship with the land.

    I teach outdoor education at Memorial University and hope for all children to get a chance to form such a relationship. Thanks for being such a leader in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a fun walk!

    Maybe next year I can join in should my work schedule cooperate.

    ReplyDelete